Monday, November 9, 2009

Best week of my life in a nutshell.

I can't believe I haven't written in 2 weeks! Man do I have a trip to write about.

I must pick up from where I left off. Last thing that I wrote about were our problems with trains and meg's baggage, but after such terrible things, we had the most successful trip of my life. I had told you, however, that we were leacing Monday for Florence.. weellll, Meg and I were only slightly irresponsible and missed that train haha yea, I know, how could we have done that?! Well, we were determined to go somewhere because we had stayed in Lyon for 3 nights already, so we went to the train station and begged the nice French later to get us somewhere, she said that it was impossible again to go anywhere, but after talking to her for about 20 minutes, she agreed to fit us on a full train to Paris that was leaving in 20 minutes... of coures, we took it. So that Monday, when we were supposed to go to Florence, we went to Paris. Then we made a reservation for an over night train to Rome Wednesday night.

When we got to Paris, it was 8:30, we had no idea what to do or where to go so we romed around for a while until we found an internet cafe where we could google hostels. We found one that Katie had recomended and then we went on search for it. Oh my dear, the search was awful. I think Meg and I walked around Paris for probably 2 miles until we finally found the hostel, by this time is was past midnight. We had some issues getting in because obviously at last minutes, the hostel was booked, but our dear friend at the counter hooked us up and gave us a private room for the price of a 4 person dorm room.. YES! Meg and I spent our first day in Paris on a free tour of the city where we saw everthing and got to climb the Eiffel Tower at night! The next day we went to the Louvre where I got to see my favorite sculpture (Nike of Samothrace) and the Musee d'Orsay where I got to see works by two of my favorite painters (Edouard Manet and Vincent Van Gogh) aaaaammmaazing!

Wednesday night we took an overnight train to Rome where I had the worst sleep that I have ever had in my entire 21 years of living.. seriously. The cabins fit 6 people and the beds are stacked on top of eachother like a bunk bed with 3 beds would be. I was on the bottom and the bed or whatever you want to call it, sunk it diagonally so I was like falling into a crevice. It was freezing, the pillow was about square foot and I hated it... lol but we arrive in Rome at 10 AM and didn't even know that we were in for the biggest treat of our lives! =] Meagan's mommy was the sweetest thing ever and bought us two nights at a hotel in Rome so we would havent to search, pay or stay in some crummy place for two more nights. That day Meg and I walked all over Rome! It was shockingly small enough to be able to walk everywhere!! But I guess that makes sense because when the Romans were buidling awesome monuments like the Coleseum and Pantheon, they pretty much walked everywhere too, so they kept everything close ;) I cannot even explain in words how amazing it was to see Rome. Everywhere you turn there is history and beauty.. my goodness, it was incredible. Seriously, when I saw the Coleseum at a distance all lit up (it was the first time) I like freaked out and ran towards it haha. I could not shut up about how pretty and surreal it was. The next day we woke up early and went to the Vatican. =] You know Renaissance painting everywhere! =D Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel and Raphel's "School of Athens".. unreal. There was also this Dadism/Surrealism exposition at a museum in Rome that I went into a saw Marcel Duchamps famous toilet ("Fountain") haha which was prettty cool!

The next morning we left for Florence (730AM) so we arrive there around 9AM where we imediately settled in and set off for the Florence Cathedral. The church was so pretty! I would have never imagined it to be that pretty in real life! It was so colorful with marble and the designs were far more elaborate that it ever looked in pictures! The facade reminded us a lot of "Its a Small World" ride at Disneyland lol. Anyway, we walk to the very top of Brunelleshci's dome! AH! =] so cool and look out over Tuscany Florence (beautiful) Then we went off to the Galleria dell'Academia. . . do you know what is there? The giant, the perfect, the beautiful white marble sculpture of David.. now that was a dream. Seriously. I walked around the corner and there he was alluminated under this globed ceiling, it was so great! Then that night, since it was Halloween, we went to this club called "Space Electronica" and hahaha my goodness, this was that icing to our cake.. Space club was so legit.. they were playing awesome music, there were hundreds of people there dressed up for Halloween, there were like 3 levels and Meg and I met some hottie Australians.. lol it was just a lot of fun. We left the next morning, sadly, but very pleased with our trip.

I know that was kind of long, but I still didn't include all details. I do find it very important, however, to note some of the best things we found in Italy.

1) Best Lasagna
2) Best Tiramisu
3) Best Gelato times 5
4) Best Capuccinos and Lattes
5) Not best pizzza =( unfortunate
6) Best Club
7) Best leather gloves (which I bought in Florence.. so classy.)
8) Best water

hmm.. and I actually think there is more.. but this blog is already days long. Pictures will appear in a seperate blog! Yay!

I LOVE ITALY!

No comments:

Post a Comment